Monday, July 9, 2012

"I Hate This Cover" of the Month, July 2012

Embrace (The Violet Eden Chapters, #1)

First, it's someone's butt. And, I think we're pretty much meant to stare at this girl's butt because the title goes right across it. But, look, I guess that's fine because, hey, at least this girl looks like she's digested a sandwich. Seriously, I'm a mom and I have a daughter, so I'm all for positive representations of NORMAL body image in popular culture. (Really, no sarcasm. I've seen the daughters of people I know say stuff like, "I'm fat. I gotta go on a diet." In elementary school.)

Butt, it's the second thing that this cover has put into my brain that makes it the "I Hate This Cover" of the Month. Every time I see this cover, I hear this song in my head. Over and over. For days- weeks- after I see it. It's driving me nuts:


Look, I'm old enough to remember when this song came out. I actually thought, "Great" because of the whole positive body image thing. On some level, I get that it's kind of sexist, butt a lot of girls/women began to be okay with their normal shape after hearing it celebrated in song. Then I heard the song for the 1000th time in a week- a lot of that occurring in my head not the radio because of the messed up way my brain works. I'm going to give you a peek into the contents of my brain:

The 12th President of the United States. Answer: GIYF
The Current Speaker of the House of Representatives. Answer: GIYF
Lyrics to "Baby Got Back":
I like big butts and I cannot lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a girl walks in with an itty-bitty waist...
For the love of everything holy, this song came out like 20 years ago. I'm not supposed to keep hearing it over and over and over now that it's not being (over)played on the radio. Butt, I do hear it- for days/weeks after I see the cover. Because of the weird way my brain works (see above), this is the kind of thing that gets stuck in my memory and then comes out to play even when I don't want it to. Which is every time someone mentions the book or I see the cover. Which is why this is July's "I Hate This Cover" of the Month. Now, for a little Hugh Laurie interlude to wipe the mental palate clean: (If you haven't seen it, you have to watch it for the Badonkadonk part)


Crud, is it me? Or do you now see Hugh Laurie in the video singing "Baby Got Back"? It's actually kind of funny- my brain is going back and forth between the combos- Hugh's body/Sir Mix-A-Lot's voice, Sir Mix-A-Lot's body/Hugh's voice, etc.
Embrace (The Violet Eden Chapters, #1)

2 comments:

  1. That cover is definitely strange. Is she squatting? Like she's about to get on the toilet lol.

    I agree it's nice to see a normal looking girl on the cover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just snorted my Coke. Thanks for that. Ya, the graphic design isn't too great on that one too.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...